NPR is about to start a series on people who drop out of high school. Dropouts have an enormous total cost on society. The series is here.
The issue is a perfect microcosm for US society. You can just as easily switch dropout, poor person or Black person. I must congradulate Claudio Sanchez for find a way to discuss what the majority do not want to discuss: The US underclass and inequality in society. Education is the one workable lever in the US for reducing inequality in society. Everyone is pulling on it; Obama, Bill Gates, Congress, Bloomberg; but no one knows what to do.
Mr. Sanchez explores the true cost to society of the lost potential of a dropout.
- ► 2013 (69)
- ► 2012 (109)
- Black/Hispanic vs. Wealth Gap Takes Huge Jump
- Discrimination against the long term unemployed
- SF considers banning discrimination against ex-con...
- Dropouts: The high cost to society of dropping ou...
- White Man's Burden
- Year Up: Warning website has a picture of a Black ...
- Leo Hindery: Liberal ex-CEO
- Monster Employment Index: MEI
- DOE data show major differences in educational opp...
- Shrinking Black Middle Class from AP via CST
- Tax cuts and two wars caused the deficit
- Black Speakers Bureau
- Race unspoken in unemployment discussion
- ▼ July (13)