Michelle Alexander covers one of the primary economic issues in the Black Community in the US: Mass Incarceration of Black Males in the US. She has written a new book, "The new Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the age of Colorblindness" which as web-site here.
Here is a link to part one of a two part interview from Democracy Now: Here.
She writes that the "war on drugs" focused only on Black communities resulting a large number of non-violent, felony arrests results in a permanent incarcerated population. Second, there are rewards and incentives, for increasing the number of drug arrests. Arrests for possession account for 80% of all arrests and 4/5 of those are for Marijuana.
- ► 2013 (69)
- ► 2012 (109)
- "The new Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the age o...
- Corporate Consolidation is killing jobs in the US
- WSJ Blog: Multi-National overseas hiring
- WSJ: $1.2 Trillion spent on stuff they don't need....
- British Experiment in deficit reduction
- Wachovia admits laundering mexican drug money
- Respect the Black Consumer Dollar
- "Fire the rich", income inequality, and class diff...
- National Urban League State of Black America and 1...
- The Big Story: GE paid NO taxes for the last four ...
- Manning Marable Dies
- ▼ April (11)