Getting fired sucks. I overheard three people getting fired on Friday. I work in the computer field and the company outsourced it's computer room to a hosting facility last January. Very few corporations actually own their own computer systems any more. Instead the lease time and space on remote computers on a monthly or yearly basis at a managed hosting facility.
One of the network guys, Reggie, who I only talked to a little bit, left immediately. I guess he knew what was up and had good skills.
But two other guys, Sam and Kevin, stayed. Sam, had been with the company for 15 years and worked as a computer operator. He was a local guy with a high school education. When they outsourced the computer systems, they gave Sam a job on the helpdesk. But Sam had trouble keeping up and answering calls.
Kevin, the late shift operator, who used to cover 4pm to 12am really had no work at all. I think he had a second job some place. He was an immigrant from a west Asian country. He was down to managing backup tapes.
That, along with a 3rd guy, in computer support, whom I did not know at all, were let go a 4:30 on Friday. Bam ! Pack your stuff, give me you access card, get out.
So, I am trying to decide if the company did the right thing and if it even matters.
Long story short, I gotta look for a job with more job-security like teaching or the government.
- ► 2013 (69)
- The Stranger: Legalizing Pot will reduce the Black...
- NY Times: Part-time work
- Madem Noire: Joseph Stiglitz says the "The America...
- Mother Jones: Urban farms reduce crime
- Emmanuel Saez paper on Income Inequality
- Legatum Prosperity Index
- Foreign Policy: US prosperity slipping
- AP Poll: Majority of Americans have negative view ...
- Guardian UK: UK corporate tax bills close to zero
- Three people got fired at my job yesterday
- Global Top Income Database
- Mother Jones: Warehouse work
- French Entrepreneurs protest new taxes
- GrameenPhone: Example of unselfish capitalism
- US Energy Information Center
- Militarized police offer peacekeeping answser
- Bias in NYC specialized high school admission proc...
- Translation Advertising: Vertical Integration
- South African Unemployment Rate: 24.9%
- Two high level fashion media appointments
- Wal-Mart workers strike in California
- Macy's to hire 80,000 temps during holidays
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2011 (99)