Saturday, January 26, 2013
JEEP (Jamaica Emergency Employment Program
We are reading about JEEP (Jamaica Emergency Employment Program) which is a job creation program. The program will provide employment to 5000 Jamaicans at a cost of US$45 million dollars. The program was pushed for by Portia Simpson-Miller's People's National Party. The PNP is the party of the left and the Jamaica Labor Party is the right of center party. Under the JLP, Jamaica sponsored a similar porgram called JDIP(Jamaica Development Infrastructure Program) which cost US$400 million.
Jamaica has one of the highest debt to GDP ratios in the world (125%) and faces problem with crime and unemployment. Jamaica has approximately US $13 billion in debt or about $8000 per person. In 2009 debt service consumed 65% of revenues.
The IMF restructured Jamaica debt in 2004 but has been unwilling, despite record low rates, to renegotiate again.
In 2010, the IMF agreed to a the Jamaican Debt Exchange(JDX) which exchanged high interest short term borrowings for lower interest, long-term debt.
Jamaica economy is small, service based economy based on tourism, remittances and buaxite exports.
Many believe the banks and IMF are making an example of Jamaica by not forgiving or restructuring it's debt.
Jamaica is a middle income developing country which has seen either zero or miniscule GDP growth for the past 20 years.
The UK guardian has a story on Jamaican Debt Crisis here.
The 2012-2013 national budget of Jamaica is here from the Gleaner.
Jamaica Debt Exchange press release from UNDP.
CIA worldfact book
- CCAP: 48% of workers over-educated for their jobs
- ILO: Global Unemployment is Rising
- BBC: Grace Amey-Obeng's beauty company in Ghana
- JEEP (Jamaica Emergency Employment Program
- Cuddly or Cut-Thoroat Capitalism
- Economist: Kibera (Kenya) slum is economic hotspot...
- Improving US manufacturing: Jan 2013
- Obscure Reference of the Day: PENBOTEC 400 -- Frui...
- Government Job Creations Works but is Difficult
- US Prison Statistics for 2011. 1% decrease.
- NELP: Mid-wage jobs have yet to recover
- Ten States Increased their Minimum Wage on January...
- Anti-Lobbying Site: American Anti-Corruption Act
- Everett and Jones Barbecue Restaurant in Oakland, ...
- Cleveland Fed: College pays only a little more tha...
- Cleveland Fed: Labor's Declining Share of National...
- ▼ January (17)
- ► 2012 (109)
- ► 2011 (99)